February 3, 2013

the plunge

Every year, there is a fundraiser for Kansas Special Olympics and those who donate a certain amount get the priviliage of jumping into a freezing lake in the middle of winter
...this tradition is called the Polar Plunge.
 
I was lucky enough to be on a team with some of the other students in MHS IPS.
 
This is us:
 
Our team name was "slippery when wet"

IT WAS COLD. the temperature that day was around 30, which has not been the worst on record..
but you can still see the floating ice chunks in the water

the ladies of the group with the polar bear
(we were getting a picture of the back of our shirts
so the polar bear was facing the other direction)
 
There were A TON of people plunging that day. but oh gracious we had to get pumped up fast. It wasnt 3 minutes when we lined up that we were screaming and running into the frozen water 





 
 


I was not really sure how far in I was going to go...but we had about 35 people in our group..so the big heard told me I would be going very far
 
I got all the way to my neck! it was the coolist thing ever.
 
 

 
 
A few people got a little banged up due to the floating ice chunks,
including me, but oh baby was it worth it!





Our group after the plunge!
 
We won an award for having the most team members.
(3rd year in a row for "slippery when wet")
 
This had to be one of the most thrilling and amazing experiences of my life.
I would do it agagin in a heart beat.
and it made all the difference in the world doing it for Kansas Special Olympics
 
"We were Freezin' for a Reason"

1 comment:

  1. YOUR NIKES!!!!!!!!
    this is awesome! way to be fun and awesome.

    ReplyDelete