February 18, 2013

A forgotten but special post

It is 9 pm. Currently, I am babysitting. I Just put the 3 most lovely children down to sleep and I am lying on the living room rug debating to study government. ...my mind keeps thinking back to a book I read to the kiddos tonight... It was entitled "you are special"


It is about a town full of wooden people, all made by the same woodcarver. They were all different. All day long these wooden people would place stickers on the fellow town members...a star if they thought they were extraordinary...and a dot if they were seen as dull and worthless...
There was a young wooden man named punichello. He only received dots. No matter how hard he tried, he would stumble on his words and be considered a fool...
One day he met a wooden girl named Lucia. She had no dots and no stars whatsoever. Punichello wanted the same, so she told him to go see Eli, the woodcarver who carved all the people.
When punichello went to see Eli, Eli greeted him with such joy, for he loved punichello and called him special
Punichello laughed and said "me, special? Why? I can't walk fast. I can't jump. My paint is peeling. What do I matter to you"the woodcarver looked at him and spoke very softly "because you are mine, that's why you mAtter to me"
The reason Lucia had no dots or stickers was because she didn't give them power. If people tried to give her a star or a dot, they would simply not stick..because she knew the love her creator hAd for her...and that mattered so much more that what the other wooden people thought of her.

I love this. My mom would read this book to me when I was younger and it takes a whole new meaning now.

No comments:

Post a Comment