September 6, 2013

Day 2

So.... I missed a day. But its a new project so its going to take some getting used to! haha



Day 2, Thursday: Educate us on something you know a lot about or are good at. Take any approach you'd like (serious and educational or funny and sarcastic)

Well...I'm not sure what to do for this one. I thought a lot about it and I decided to educate on the thing I hold most dear...The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  While I cannot educate on every teaching and doctrine via blog, I can teach about the Restoration of the Gospel.  

When Christ died, His church was left to his 12 apostles. When they all died, the church collapsed. Many people picked up bits and pieces of Christ's church, but did not adopt all of His teachings, and that is why we have so many churches on the Earth today.  Well in 1820, a young boy named Joseph Smith wanted to know the truth. He wanted to know which church was true...or if any were at all

"In the midst of this war of words and tumult of opinions, I often said to myself: What is to be done? Who of all these parties are right; or, are they all wrong together? If any one of them be right, which is it, and how shall I know it?"
  Joseph Smith-History 1:10

He read in the bible one night for solace. He came across James 1:5 

"If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."
James 1:5

Joseph recounts that "no other scripture had ever come with more power to the heart of a man than did this at this time to mine."
Joseph Smith-History 1:12

So, Joseph did as James directs. On a clear Spring day in 1820, 14 year old Joseph Smith went into a grove of trees nearby his family home.  He carefully kneeled down and offered a vocal prayer. Very soon after he began, a darkness seized over him. He recounts: "It had such an astonishing influence over me as to bind my tongue so that I could not speak. Think darkness gathered around me, and it seemed to me for a time as if I were doomed to sudden destruction."
Joseph Smith-History 1:15

Joseph goes on to say that he felt he was to be taken, by a very literal dark being. He exerted all his strength and called upon the Lord. Soon after, the darkness went away.  A light appeared, above the brightness of the sun exactly over the young Joseph's head. Two personages appeared "whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other-This is my Beloved Son. Hear Him!"
Joseph Smith-History 1:17

He saw Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. Joseph asked them which church he should join. They told him to join none of them, for none were the complete gospel of Christ. He was then called to restore the Church of Christ to the Earth.

I love this. This is why I do what I do. This is why I am who I am, is because of this day. Joseph later translates the Book of Mormon, a sacred record kept by the people of Christ's time on the American continent, and establishes the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, all through the power of God and His Holy Spirit.  



If you would like to learn more, please visit 
or contact your local missionaries! (you can do so on mormon.org)



No comments:

Post a Comment